“A crash course in leadership!”
– Fionnuala Coburn at Airbnb
“Terrific experience and very grateful.”
– Marty Cagan, Partner, Silicon Valley Product Group
“A very special insider way to experience the legendary Berkshire annual meeting.”
– Jeff Glueck, CEO of Foursquare
You may *not* know this – each year we invite digital leaders to Omaha both for a Friday Leadership Workshop we run (where attendees can learn the leadership and cultural lessons that Warren Buffett has to teach) and for the Saturday Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting. This Leadership Weekend, as we call it, is usually a separate offering from the Spring Council meetings (which are held in a different city each year.)
If you decide to stay *after* the Council meetings, then here are the themes of our Friday Leadership Workshop: (see video and text below video for much more detail)
- Culture and Leadership Lessons
- Design of Berkshire Hathaway
- Warren Buffett and Customer Experience
- Women’s Leadership and Civil Rights
Also, the *amazing* Don Graham, longtime CEO and Chairman of The Washington Post, 50 year close friend of Warren Buffett, and son of Katharine Graham, the first woman CEO of a Fortune 500 *and* one of the top 10 CEOs of the 20th century (as measured by financial performance), will be joining us again on Friday.
To make it easy for all Council members to attend this Leadership Weekend at least once, we are holding our Spring Council meetings in Omaha in the days leading up to it.
This is a *one-time* opportunity to extend your Council meetings and get a full week of learning and networking.
Here’s what that would look like for you:
- Spring Councils Meeting: Tuesday night, Wednesday, and Thursday
- Berkshire Hathaway Leadership Workshop: Friday
*Note, again this is not about investing, but about building the cultural and leadership lessons from Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger (with some very special guest speakers – see below)
- Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders Meeting: Saturday (we handle all the logistics and provide the pass)
*Register here* to join us!
Or read on for a short video and more details in text.
Key Themes for the Leadership Weekend
* Culture and Leadership Lessons (again, *not* investing lessons)
Berkshire’s secret is its culture of *deserved trust.* How does Buffett create that culture of trust and how can it inspire you as a leader in a startup or Fortune 500 company?
* Design of Berkshire Hathaway
Learn the untold story about how Buffett has designed a company with 400,000 employees and only 24 people in corporate headquarters. The design lessons are powerful and not well understood.
* Customer Experience and Berkshire Hathaway
You’ll be surprised to discover that Buffett is one of the few great CX CEOs of the last 50 years. I’ll walk you through why I say that and give you some powerful examples of Buffett’s CX philosophy in action.
* Women’s Leadership and Civil Rights
Buffett was both one of the first successful business men to publicly support women’s leadership (back in the 60s and 70s) and one of the *only* to support Martin Luther King, Jr., while that Civil Rights leader was still alive (and quite controversial).
Special guest speakers at our workshop include:
* Don Graham – longtime Chairman and CEO of Washington Post; son of the amazing Katharine Graham (first woman CEO of a Fortune 500 company); and longtime best friend to Warren Buffett (who calls Don the “smartest person I’ve ever met” – I’ll add that he’s not only smart but also humble and lovely). Don has also been a personal mentor to most of the CEOs of Silicon Valley. He’s one of my favorite people. He will spend a few hours with us on Friday talking about Buffett, his mother, and anything we want to ask. In past years, attendees have told me that his session might have been the best two hours they’ve ever spent.
* Phil Terry – I’m your co-host along with my producer, Britany Crown, and I’ll kick us off on Friday with an overview. I’ve studied Buffett and Munger for 25 years and have been deeply inspired by their design, culture, leadership, and, yes, even customer experience philosophy. I have honed a talk that gives you what you need to understand the leadership and cultural lessons that should inspire you no matter what you do. I started this workshop/weekend experience five years ago for Internet leaders and *non*-investors and have had hundreds of Internet CEOs and designers attend. They have loved it and so will you.
* Britany Crown – she may be the best producer I’ve ever worked with. Britany not only produces a flawless event but as a Buffett protege she creates a culture of deserved trust for our group over this weekend.
*Register here* to join us for the Friday Leadership Workshop + Berkshire Annual Meeting
*Tickets are limited on an invitation-only basis (and non-refundable but transferrable).
*Your flight and hotel are separate. We will send you details about the room block at the hotel where the workshop will be held shortly after you register.
– Carly Zakin, Co-CEO, theSkimm
“A truly transformative couple of days.”
– Victor Cho, CEO, Evite
“Very good experience, and very good networking. Relevant content – I learned a lot.”
– Lisa Campbell, CMO, Autodesk
“Great experience and fantastic group!”
– David Rabkin, EVP & GM, Global Marketing, American Express
“Loved it…quality group of attendees – great event.”
– Chris Fralic, Partner, First Round Capital
Schedule for Council Meetings + Leadership Workshop + Berkshire Annual Meeting
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
6pm: Private Council dinners
Wednesday, April 29, 2020 – Council Meetings
8:00am – 12:00pm: Council meetings
12:00pm – 1:30pm: Lunch and General session with Karen Goracke (a Berkshire CEO) and Phil
1:30pm – 5:00pm: Council Meetings
6:30 – 8:30: Evening programming
Thursday, April 30, 2020 – Council Meetings
8:00am – 1:00pm: Council meetings
1:00pm – 2:00pm: Lunch
3:00pm – 6:00pm: Choose Your Own Adventures
6:30pm – 8:30pm: Informal Leadership Workshop welcome cocktail
Friday, May 1, 2020 – Leadership Workshop
12:00pm – 6:30pm: Leadership Workshop
7:00pm – 9:30pm: Dinner
Saturday, May 2, 2020 – Berkshire Annual Meeting
4:45am: Meet in lobby for quick-grab breakfast and coffee
5:00am: Walk to CHI Health Center Omaha to line up and wait (yes, you read that right, 5am – I’ll explain later, but essentially it’s the only way to get into the main auditorium to see Warren Buffett live which is why we all make the trek in the first place)
7:00am: Doors open, we’ll get seats together in the main exhibit hall
8:30am – 3:30 pm: Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting
4:00pm: Closing happy hour
Saturday Berkshire Annual Meeting Only?
Some have asked if they can stay after the Councils only to go the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting *without* going to CG’s Leadership Workshop, and the answer is yes.
If you’d rather only attend the annual meeting, let us know by signing up for a shareholder pass HERE. Otherwise, keep reading below for the workshop details and to register for the whole experience…